As a seasoned divorce attorney, I have observed the damage people do to their children and each other when dissolving their marriage. Discussions over child custody, property division and support can become quite heated, especially considering the emotional aspects of dissolving a marriage. I truly believe there is an alternative and that a couple can end their marriage with respect and dignity. Not only is it better for their children, but it is also better for the individual. One can begin a new life without all the baggage of a bitter divorce!

More and more couples want to engage in a cooperative divorce but are not sure how to proceed. I have developed a model of cooperative divorce that works for many couples — as long as they are willing to cooperate and be respectful. They don’t have to agree on everything but at least be ready to talk!

My goal is to “Empower couples to dissolve their marriage in a respectful and cooperative way.”

Attorneys all over the country are engaging in a discussion as to how to make the process better. One alternative is to engage in a process called collaborative law. Collaborative Law divorces have a specific format. More information can be found at the web site of the International Academy of Collaborative Practice (IACP). There are also local practice groups. I belong to King County Collaborative Law. These web sites provide more information and also have directories of professionals in your area.

I am interested in learning how others have handled their divorce without engaging in the well-known divorce wars and to answer questions you may have about the process. I will also share stories of how my clients have faced various issues.

A local therapist offers the following quote:

“The success of a marriage should not be judged upon whether it lasts or ends but on how much growth it has afforded us.”

The Quirk Law Group Focuses on Legal Matters Surrounding Divorce & Family Law in Washington State.

Articles below are not intended as legal advice. Family law cases can are complex, and you should consult with an attorney.

Karin Quirk A Peaceful Divorce

The Book